Monday, August 29, 2011

Painting experiment

Friday I had to opportunity to do some fabric painting.  I had wanted to try a technique described by Robbie Joy Ecklow, where she hung lengths of fabric and dripped paint at the the top allowing it to flow down.  Now, I didn't have much fabric, and I didn't have much time--just a three hour window, before the grandchildren arrived--and I had to work outside.  Got every thing ready and the wind came up--more like a howling gale than a gentle fabric drying wind.  But I persevered.  I think my husband laughed more watching me than I did.  It was quite a battle.  I ended up totally covered in paint--even soaked through to  my underwear.  The first piece I thoroughly wet in a bucket, and then figured out that it would be much easier to hang dry fabric in the wind than wet, so used the hose to wet the rest.  The scrunched up fabric of the first piece produced a texture that the others didn't have, and I may want to re-visit that.  I tried it in four different colour-ways, and am pleased with them all.  It took far more paint than I expected,  but this meant that I got rid of a lot of old paint. 





The next day, while doing a bit of sunprinting with the grandchildren, we found an old light disgarded in the bush.  It is about 12 inches square and is a bas relief of a sunflower. It's obviously commercially made, likely out of a mould.  I've done two painted impressions of it, and am thrilled with the result.  But now I have the quandry of attributing the design.  I have absolutely no idea who did the original design, and I see so many possibilities in the pieces I've made.

No comments: