Next morning, in day light, I realized that the Raspberry metallic, did not read as raspberry when used, but rather read as purple. Oh darn! ( Not really what I said. Use your imagination) How can I save this? Back to the stash, where I found some purple silk. What the heck?! I can't make it any worse. Well, I did.
At this point I was ready to throw in the towel. But, could I really throw away all this time and supplies? Why not use the piece to experiment with various techniques, before moving onto a new project ( Remember? I had three other colourways ready to go.) So I relaxed, and let loose, and allowed myself to play. First I did a small scale random FMQ'g all over the base layer with gold metallic--great results. Then I added machine couched Japanese gold around the appliques. (Yes, real Japanese gold) Next I added custom-made braid along the edge of each of the five sides, and a similar braid along the bottom. Here is a close-up of the piece, that shows detail of the FMQ'g and the braid.
Here is the full view of the result, all the machine sewing done, ready for beading. I am pleasantly surprised at the result, and plan to finish it as originally planned. I'll post more pictures once the beading and hand stitching is done.
I plan to link this with The Needle and Thread Network and Nina Marie Sayre's Off the Wall Friday.