Wednesday, July 13, 2016

A bit of fun.

This piece was just an experiment, mainly about how to handle and finish something with a very loose form and raw edges.  I ended up stabilizing with an iron on stabilizer, especially after deciding to add the buttons, as a focal point.  The raw edges baffled me for quite awhile until I happened on a mention of felt.  While it isn't quite finished, the plan is to stitch it to a double layer of felt, leaving about 1/2" of the felt showing all around the edges.

I plan to link this with The Needle and Thread Network

1 comment:

Laurel's Stitches said...

Now THAT is a very pretty "experiment", Pat. I enjoy seeing how you push the boundaries of what quilting is perceived to be. You have used "patchwork" (I'm not sure how else to describe it) to give the impression of a plain weave... a plain weave fabric tends to fray at the edges. And you're leaving the edges "unfinished" (as some might describe it in traditional quilting terms).

Your work is intriguing. Thank you for posting to The Needle and Thread Network's WIP Wednesday!