Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Not as easy as I thought

In my last post I talked about enjoying my social network, as so much of it relates to my creative life.  Serendipitously, an opportunity came up to join an informal sketching group, one of the areas I want to experience.  Today was the first meeting.  One lady had taken it upon herself to set up an organizational system, that required each of us to accept responsibility for providing instruction for one of the sessions, over the next few months, and for each of us to submit a sketch for critique at each session.  I had anticipated a much more informal set-up, where I could progress at my own speed, starting at my own skill level, with hopes of improving that level.  As well, most of them were asking to concentrate on aspects of figure drawing, not something I'm looking for at all. While I realize that figure drawing is an important aspect of sketching, I do not believe I am skilled enough to experience any success with it at all, and without some sort of positive experience, I would quickly become discouraged.  That skill level might come in the future, but I'm not there yet.  Nor do I use figures in any of my fibre work, most of which is more abstract.

So when the organizing lady turned to me and asked when I would take on all of the preparation and delivery of a class, I simply said that I had been looking for a more informal class, and that I would be opting out.  And I left.

But this means that my goal of a sketch a day will require an awful lot of self discipline--not my strong point.

No comments: