Monday, October 10, 2016

I can't believe it's been so long!

Firstly, I had to completely re-make the exhibition piece I was planning with all of the very small squares in hand dyed green. ( I had trimmed it 1/2 inch too short for the exhibition)  Then, I was preparing to attend the yearly networking retreat and Annual Meeting of the Fibre Art Network.
                        http://www.fibreartnetwork.com/ 

This event can be held anywhere in Western Canada, and this year was local.  It was my pleasure to assist with the planning, although in a minor role.  This is a wonderful event, filled with individual artist presentations, lots of networking, field trips, and a great deal of major planning regarding the running of the organization.  It's one of the most stimulating things I do for my creative self.

One of the things talked about was the need for professional artists  to develop, and follow, a plan for their own individual professional life.  This will, of course, include the artist's individual long and short term goals.  This is something I've neglected for the past few years, while I was dealing with health issues.  Today, I sat down to take a look at this, and realized that my main goal is to be alive in five years, and healthy enough for social activity.  Now, I'm not being silly about this.  So, my intent is to improve or maintain my physical and mental health.  Physical Health is personal and somewhat self evident. Under Mental Health is my need to be creative, part of which is my need to have an active social network, as my social life consists primarily of the people and activities essential for my creativity.

This came as a bit of a surprise, as I've often felt guilty for attending social events, as it took time away from the studio.  Now I realize that these same social activities are essential to me, and well worth the time I devote to them.

No comments: