Saturday, March 23, 2013

Good news!

Both of the pieces I spoke about in the last post have been accepted into the 2013 Fibrescapes show, opening in Penticton in late May.  Yay!!

The revised class went very well in Neepawa, and there was strong support for the second day  to incorporate feathers.  So my time is being spent working on an outline and samples for that.  I am enjoying my time practicing these skills and drafting patterns to practice on.  Overall, I don't know if I'm going to worry about being asked to teach this, and maybe that is the best way to approach it.  Do what I want, and find pleasure in doing it.

One thing that is being re-considered is the use of cotton Damask for this.  To do so, I have to remove hems etc, and over dye the fabric.  When there is nothing holding the construction and weave of the fabric, it becomes very difficult to work with. As well, the thread used to do the machine quilting tends to melt into the fibres and becomes almost invisible. the beautiful quilting designs just disappear. The fabric works well as long as the hems aren't removed, so future efforts will probably be with recycled napkins rather than tablecloths,

1 comment:

Dianne Leatherdale Johnson said...

Possibly a zig zag stitch around the edge??? But then if the quilting just dissappears then why bother.
Just contradicting myself again.
Dianne J