Monday, May 4, 2015

What next?

The show is over, and I may have sold a couple of bookmarks.  (I hope they weren't stolen!)

Now I'm faced with "what next?".  With surgery in less than three weeks, I have time to get the upstairs studio ready for after, when I won't be able to get down the stairs for 4-6 weeks.  I have been doing a lot of LWI dyeing, but have had trouble getting pastel shades.  this means that there is a lot of fabric with strong colours and a lot of variegation.  I plan to attempt to make some whole cloth pieces out of it, firstly to practice my FMQ'g, and secondly to try to get a piece well enough done, to enter in the LQG show next March.  The back of my work is often less than show worthy.  Not a problem when it is displayed as art, as I add a false back, but a problem if it is to be judged.

The plan is to use  a vinyl overlay on the fabric itself, so that I can design the actual quilting so that it works with the colour variegation in the fabric. By using a water soluble marker, on the vinyl, I can make any necessary corrections quite easily.  So I picked up the vinyl, and markers today.   i will start one , to validate the technique, and then be ready to go at the end of the month.

No comments: