Tuesday, June 20, 2017


Having received the thread I needed for thread painting, I got to work on my latest piece, and have finally got it finished and hung in my studio.  I've been wanting to replace a framed embroidery, there, that I did in 1992, but have had problems with size as the area is over my ironing board, and the space is limited.

A few months ago, I blogged about doing a series of mono-prints on cotton to use as backgrounds for a series of hangings.  This is the first piece in that group.  I use the word group, as I'm not yet sure that there will be a series.  The mono-prints I chose for this piece were black and ultramarine blue, and there were three of them.  I first made a rough draft of my plan to determine the size of my thread painted focal point.  Then I did the thread painting.  I chose Juncos as the subject, as I very much look forward to the three weeks they visit my feeder, both spring and fall.

Next the surrounding pieces were cut and assembled, and the entire thing machine quilted, some of which was free motion. There was enough of the mono-prints left over to be able to piece the backing.  I usually add a false back to my pieces, but am toying with the idea of maybe entering this in a judges exhibition, so have allowed the quilting to show.   That is very scary for me! Here is the full view.

  And the reverse.  Because of the possibility of showing it, I've used an exhibition-size sleeve.

 And here it is on my wall, over the ironing board.  I plan to link this with The Needle and Thread Network, and maybe Nina-Marie Sayre's Off the Wall Fridays.

1 comment:

DonnaleeQ said...

I love your little birds. They are a favorite appliqué item for me. Beautiful!!!!!