Friday, October 30, 2020

Well, back in business

 Blogger has been re-organizing its site, but I think I've finally figured out how to use it again.  After a long drought, the studio is again busy.  The "fish" piece that started with an EPP'd background is finally finished.  It was started in March and has been sitting on the design wall ever since, but a flurry of activity got it done about a week ago.  I quickly learned that my FMQ'g has suffered over the past  few years, through neglect, and I really need to re- train myself to use it.  I've always taught my students that the only way to get good at it is through practice, practice practice.  Too bad I forgot that lesson myself.

 

The next piece has been pieced,  and sandwiched.  Yesterday I had  to go out to find a new can of spray baste, and today I hope to get down to quilting it.  This one too, requires FMQ'g within the area of the ferns, but the rest will just be matchstick quilting done vertically.  I'm pretty sure that it will be trimmed a little narrower on each side before it gets bound.  Since I haven't yet actually sprayed it, I didn't want to move it to take the picture, so you see it on the table .



The ferns were sun printed last spring, but since the fabric was painted not dyed, I had trouble matching the colour for fabric to use
for  piecing.  This impacted greatly on how I designed the piece, so I reverted to a fairly basic strip design.  The area  of the ferns will be FMQ'd, probably with a background in micro-stippling, done with 100 wt Kimono silk.  the rest of it will just be matchstick with matching grey cotton.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the fish piece.