Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Test classes

Over the past while I've been working very hard to set up classes. Until you've actually done this, you really have no idea how time consuming this can be--making samples, researching and preparing handouts etc. The one activity I'm finding very, very useful is a test class. This is a small class of students who are aware that it is a test class, pay very little for the privilege of attending, and are expected to offer critique and suggestions about every aspect of the class--even to the point of proof-reading the handouts. I have yet to go through this process without it resulting in changes to the prepared course.

This weekend I did a small test class for the course "Scrap It!". This course is still in development, and I learned that it is a very viable concept, but needs to be divided into two separate classes--one for traditional quilters and one for contemporary quilters. So, now I have my chores for the next couple of weeks. It was agreat experience! The ladies were thrilled. I had five small projects, each of which could be done with a "sew'n'flip" technique, or with the fusing technique, that I taught as part of the class. They all ( yes, all 7 of them) chose the same project, so the other 4 haven't actually been tested, and they all chose the fusing technique. Good information for future classes--fewer projects! They were a mixture of beginner and experienced quilters, so the fusing technique could well be part of both levels of class.

While the information is good, the other benefit is in my enthusiasm for carrying on with the class. I feel invigorated as a result of the success of the class and the good feedback I received.

No comments: