Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Back in the saddle again

On Monday five of my friends came over for a "Play Day". We painted and dyed and talked and ate and had a marvelous time. I now have three pieces of fabric prepared with a flour resist that has lead to a black "crackle" pattern all over. Two of them had been previously hand dyed, and I plan to submit the third to a low water immersion dyeing. The other previously dyed piece will now get some stamping and stencilling in gold, before some embroidering.

I have several pieces that were coloured with a paint method that involves shaving cream. This results in a swirling pattern. In the past I used shaving cream to create a faux marble effect, but this is quite different. I also came away with a piece of previously hand-dyed fabric that I used as the base of a sun print. I did a couple more today and learned that the top painted layer must be significantly different in colour to create the efffect I wanted. Even if there is a noticeable difference in value, if the hue is too close, the result is just a muted sunprint. Lesson learned.

So now I have several projects lined up---and--hopefully, the energy to deal with them.

No comments: