Thursday, May 5, 2011

Reflections on a new machine

Last evening my new sewing machine started to mis-behave, so I stopped working immediately and took it in to be seviced today.  Of course, once the serviceman took out a screwdriver, the machine was scared and immediately began to behave.  However, I've had it for almost a year, so left it behind for a routine servicing.  Now, I'm determined to finish the last of the three charity quilts I've committed to, so we hauled out the old Pfaff for me to use over the weekend.  It fits fairly nicely into the table I got for the Janome 7700, and after a few minor difficulties, I got it working. 

I used that Pfaff almost daily for 7 years, and, while we had a bit of a love/hate relationship, I had always felt that it was the most useful machine I had ever owned, especially for an "art" quilter or fibre artist.  There were features of that machine that I really miss on the Janome.  But using the Pfaff again after a year, I am amazed at how much I miss the Janome.  Yes, the Intergrated dual feed on the Pfaff is much easier to use than the Accufeed on the Janome, and the needle threader on the Pfaff is more reliable, but other than that I now know that I'm thoroughly spoiled with the Janome and may never go back to any other machine.

No comments: