Thursday, November 24, 2011

Got fooled

I did the test  of how the machine took to FMQ'g through various types and thicknesses of acrylic paint.  Quite fine!  I don't have to worry about that anymore.  So my only decision is colour, and I think I'm going to go with the oil paint sticks because of the sheeen the iridescent paint leaveson thefabric.  The next step was to design and paint the waterfall.  A lot of research left me with the understanding that:
          -you don't see coloured water when you look at a waterfall from a lower position, only if you look at it from above.
          -as soon as the water goes over the edge, it becomes white foam.  There may be areas of slightly darker foam but the basic and predominant colour is white.

Well, glad I did the research, but don't know where I'm going from here.  An acqaintance told me recently to stop obsessing with waterfalls, and to "chill out".  O-k-a-a-ay--didn't realize it was getting that bad.  Artists obessess on regular basis--don't they?

Very pleased to report that one of the pieces I have in a small local gallery has sold.  This was quite unexpected, and has left me with a slight problem.  I had planned to bring the piece home, take it partially apart, re-size it and enter it into another show---the show it was actually made for.  After giving it a lot of thought, I decided to go ahead and make another piece based on the same concept.  I will use a similar colour scheme but, perhaps, some different techniques, and a very different overall appearance.  So the pieces will be different, but a viewer would also be aware that they are part of a series.  It is interesting that anyone who has seen the original piece and spoken of it, refers to it as being black.  It is actually navy blue, so very blue that I did all of the quilting with black thread to try to mute the colour.  Guess it worked.

To help me "chill out", I have started to work my way through a fibre design book.    I'm really not sure where this will go.  Either I will learn something, or what I have learned in the past will be validated.  An interesting process, none the less.  I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Dianne Leatherdale Johnson said...

Obsesed....obsessed....who me??? Nah, not me, never......not!
Wanna come to my house and pack???
Dianne