Friday, April 6, 2012

new work


Here is a full view and close-up of the piece "Too Far Away", that has gone off to the Fibre Art Network exhibit "From Away", which is being shown in conjunction with Quilt Canada in Halifax in May.  Later the show will travel for about two years.  the piece is free motion quilted, painted with silver acrylic paint, and then hand beaded.  The piece is 36" by 16".


This is a small beaded piece that I've been playing with lately.  It will finish at 12" by 12" before framing.  I used hand dyed cotton, hand made straw beads, and Flexi-firm shapes that had been either painted, or covered with the same cotton fabric,but a different section of the fabric in a slightly different colour.  There is mainly hand stitching, and all of the beads are stitched by hand. I'm currently working on a companion piece using the same hand dyed fabric.

And what happened to "Waterfall" you ask?  Well, my support group had several suggestions for "fixing" it.  I tried a couple of them, and then my husband and I agreed that it was beyond fixing.  Quite a disappointment, but I won't display work I'm not proud of publically.  so, I'm not sure what to do.  I will certainly re-make it, in a different design, but I don't think it will be done in time to enter into the show that I had originally made it for. There is another show about a year from now, that it may suit.  I have another piece in mind for the pending show, but I will take it to my support group on Monday for an opinion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post doesn't surprise me at all. A lot of traditional quilters can't stand art quilts. I say this from knowing a lot of traditional quilters. I also have seen them at shows picking apart the art quilts. I know a lot of us consider traditional quilts a form of art quilts at times so it is ironic. I think the creativity aspect and original designs of art quilts frustrate people who make traditional quilts.

Everything goes in cycles. We don't have to live with other people's expectations for us. I think it is very odd that at some point some of these same complainers will turn to making art quilts and then it is like they invented them.