Sunday, May 6, 2012

Cleaning up the studio

This is sort of a general putter and often involves finishing UFO's.  One was a fantastic response to the most recent Fast Friday Fabric Challenge, so was quickly finished as the challenge deadline was noon yesterday.  The piece called "Water World' evolved from my first experiment with Lutradur. I coloured the Lutradur with Tee-Juice markers in a lovely acqua, but discovered that the colour faded out when the Lutradur was backed with navy fabric.  So I layered the Lutradur with a second layer of itself and cut out the pattern with an electric needle. Then each small piece was fused down and appliqued with a narrow zig-zag stitch.  The piece was machine quilted in fairly close echo quilting, inspired by an article in Quilting Arts e-magazine, "In Stitches 6". The piece is about 16" by 16".


Water World close-up

Water World

















While "water World" had been considered as a possible replacement for my "Waterfall", I also managed to finally finish a replacement piece I am more comfortable with.  If you remember, "Waterfall" was planned for a show in the fall, and deadlines loomed.  The new piece is a soft sculpture box titled "Subtle Seas".


As  some of you may know, I recently went through a lengthy period of creative block.  Since last August, when I discovered an allergy to coffee, my creativity has returned.  I have ideas, and, of course, want to get at them all right now!  This is such a wonderful feeling after the dispair that I often felt during darker times.

No comments: