Monday, May 14, 2012

Mono-Printing

In an effort to jump-start my creativity, I've been going through my stash, seeing if anything could be used, and came across a bunch of mono-prints that I did last December.  Most of them were done with acrylic paint, which certainly changes the "hand" of the fabric, but not to the point that it was too stiff for the sewing machine.  Since I'm also building stock for a sale in July, I decided to turn the prints into small purses.  I would have preferred to make them into 12 by 12 wall hangings, but the prints were only 11 inches wide.  All I did was quilt them and sew them up. ( "all" that quilting took three days!)What a neat result!  The colours  are bright and vibrant and each of them is "one-of-a-kind".
purses from mono-prints
These were made using a technique described by Melani Testa, but I did draft my own pattern and make some changes in the technique itself.  The quilting patterns were determined by the print, itself.  My favourite is the one on the upper left, where the print had a pattern made from bubble wrap, and the quilting pattern used was round circles, placed over the circles of the bubble wrap.  Where there were no circles to work from, I used a fine FMQ'd grid.

The next project is to make some of those 12 by 12's, but I may actually have to make some more prints for that. I found three potential fabrics in my stash, but only one of them appears to be working out.

No comments: