Sunday, June 17, 2012

creating nothing

While I have been very busy, lately, yesterday I realized that I am creating nothing but crap.  Very pretty crap, but designed around what would sell, not what is really in my heart.This realization came when I discovered myself debating whether or not to add something to a project based on the price I felt I could reasonabley charge for the finished piece.  In other words I have gone into production for sales, not into creating art.

Two years ago I  swore to never get caught in that trap again, but how easy it happens!  I have even avoided sales, just to remove the basis for that type of thinking. Years ago, sales were a way of reducing the number of finished items that I had cluttering up my studio, but somewhere along the way they became the rationale behind my work, and the quality of the work suffered.  My more recent goal has been to do whatever work I want without thinking about sales.  I need to get back to that way of thinking right now!

The dyes I ordered for Shibori have arrived, but I am nowhere near ready to use them.  Since I am concentrating on the stitched patterns, progess is being made very slowly.  While I'm sitting, stitching, I'm watching old episodes of Quilting Arts TV in hopes of finding other inspiration.

No comments: