Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Here are the Shibori pieces that came from my weekend workshop.  One of them has been re-worked a bit.  Looking at them after getting home, I realized that two of them just didn't work. Surprisingly, both of them were pole wrapping, but I think the first dye bath just wasn't concentrated enough for the amount of fabric that was put in it.  I'm referring to the two lower pieces on the right side of the picture.  The piece on the upper right was also in the same turquoise dye bath, but was a stitched piece.  The original colour shows pale blue in the picture.  I decided to take a strip off after each dye bath so I could have a record of what happens.  The second dye bath was bright yellow, which gave the lime green colour.  The very middle is the only piece that went further.  I stitched the larger length, ( took about 6 hours)and clamped the original blue ( Should have been the lime gree, but what can I say?  It was late at the end of a very long day), and then put both of them in a burgundy dye bath.
This piece, which appears at the top left, of the larger picture, is also a stitched piece.  After stitching, it was placed in a purple/grey dye bath, then after releasing the stitching, was dyed fuschia.  I think this stitching pattern is my favourite--so far.
This piece was tied, rather than clamped--a more traditional method.  I used metal washers and put it first in a brick red dye bath.  Not only did I get very clear circles, but in places, the string used to tie it, resulted in a secondary pattern. After relase, I used a turquoise dye, which turned the brick red into a rich brown.

This is very hard to see, but the actual image is a series of paler blue dots at the bottom left ot middle of the image.  This comes from a wrapped rather than a stitched technique.  Obviously, better contrast between dye baths would have produced a better piece, but part of the skill is in planning for both colour density, and in colour development when using the multiple dye baths.

Overall, I was very pleased with the course, and certainly plan to do more of this type of work.  The stitched-resist patterns interest me, and I plan to research more of them to try. Of course, then comes the problem of what to do with all of the beautiful fabric I produce.

No comments: