Sunday, February 3, 2013

Test Class

As a teacher, I try to test a prospective class on a small group before actually teaching it for the first time.  This is not unusual, and many teaching contracts allow for it, under certain conditions.  I was able  to do this yesterday with the Advanced machine Quilting class I will be teaching next month.  A test class can be a very valuable enterprise. My classes tend to include too much, resulting in a rushed class, and frustrated students, so I am very aware of how much time various parts of the class may take to complete.  Sure enough, I tried to do too much in this class as well.  Now I have to trim it down by about an hour.  This will actually be much easier than trying to add an hour, as the writing and samples are already done, and can be put aside to maybe use in a follow-up class.  I also discovered that I had completely forgotten to prepare opening remarks.  Whoops!! What a way to start!

No comments: