Friday, March 28, 2014

Today was the day

In my previous post, I mentioned saving money to buy thread at a local quilt show.  Yes, today was the day.  DH and I planned the excursion carefully.  We decided on a time of day that we thought would be less busy ( we were wrong!).  We took cash, as well as a back up credit card with just enough room on it to keep us in budget.  Knowing that there would be crowds and lots of walking and standing, we hauled out the old wheeled walker so that I could sit, if necessary.

The first booth we came to was the thread vendor I was looking for--Cotton Mill Threadworks, out of Dundas ON. I bought what I wanted.  This is not to say that I went berserk.  I had an idea of what thread I was looking for, but didn't necessarily have a colour in mind.  I also had the requirements for a couple of projects at the back of my mind.
Does this look like over $300.00?  Well, it represents $302.75.  

Now I have to find another excuse to not be busy in the studio.  But, to be fair, all of these are specialty threads, and most of the cones hold more than 2000 yds.  And there are three packages of titanium coated needles there as well.  My hope is that this will last me until the next quilt show in two years time.

Twice before in my life, I have had a somewhat similar experience.  Both times came after receiving an inheritance.  When you read advice to people who come into money, they are always told to take a little bit of it and do something frivolous.  Well, this wasn't "found" money, I worked hard for every bit of it, and then I enjoyed every minute of spending it.

No comments: