Saturday, February 14, 2015

Shopping

There was a small quit market locally today.  Almost minus 40 and the room was packed.  Go figure.  But I was there, so not everyone was crazy. :)   I was blown away by the colours.  I haven't really shopped for a few years, as most of my fabric is hand-dyed.. It was like a trip back to the 60's--bright colours,  yellows, oranges, and lime greens.  The patterns were somewhat retro as well--kitchen prints, toys etc.  There was very little of what I'm used to seeing.

This is obviously a recent fad, and the pendulum will swing in another direction at some point in the future.  How does this affect me as an artist?  My soul tells me that this is not a good thing for me.  The colours appear 'garish" to me, even if I am a child of the sixties.  My personal style is more subdued, and analogous is my preferred colour scheme.  Perhaps all that I'll do is  dye a few more brighter hued and pure colours, rather than shades.  I believe it would be better for my art, to remain true to my soul than allow myself to be seduced by, what are essentially, happier colours.  But at the same time, monitor my mood to make sure the ever-lurking depression isn't becoming too much of an influence.

All that having been said, I bought a "jelly roll".  the only one I could find in more traditional colours.  I can see it being used in another "hexie" project.  I have never bought a "jelly roll". "nickel bag", "layer cake" etc before.  Ar-g-g-g-g-h!  Maybe I have been seduced to the dark side. 

No comments: