Friday, March 20, 2015

My own worst enemy

I've reached the place in "Icarus' Dream" that comes at about the mid-way point in almost every piece I make.  I'm so close to the work that it looks awful, is not representing the vision, I had, and I'm wondering why I do this, and whether I should just throw the whole thing out.  I have been known to throw the wretched thing across the room, at this point.  Usually I can talk myself into finishing it, and usually I'm pleased with the result.  This time, just looking at the piece through the camera, showed me that it's probably better than I think it is.  The beading is about 2/3 done, and I think you can see where I'm headed.

But my basic insecurities always spring to life when I'm trying to get to sleep.  Last night, I suddenly thought, --since it is intended as a stylized wing, what if--tada--I rotate it into the position of a wing?  I think I'm onto something here.   This looks much happier in a landscape orientation than a portrait orientation. Sometimes, the sub-conscious knows what it is doing.

No comments: