Saturday, July 15, 2017

Navel Gazing Again

Earlier this week I attended the gathering of my fibre art support group, The Fibre Art Divas".  Because we meet in members' homes, we tend to be a small group, and rarely does everyone attend every meeting.  So it's always exciting when someone we haven't seen in awhile manages to get there.  This time we had a member that I only remember seeing once before ( I don't attend all the meetings, either)  She had three pieces, and they all blew me away.  I was stunned at what she has achieved. 

Now, I'm one of the older members of the group, and have slowly been plugging away at becoming more and more adventuresome in my work, over almost 60 years.  I am impressed at younger members who seize an idea, and advance in their work at a lightening pace. I'm realizing that many of them have surpassed me and are accomplishing things that I have never even dreamed of. I admit I'm envious, but at the same time I applaud their creativity. I'm also forced to admit, that I will probably never reach the heights they have, and to acknowledge that there is sure to be someone who bypasses them in the future.  This is the way of world.  

So what are my options?  I can wallow in envy, or accept that someone will always be better than me and give up (maybe take up Candy Crush, or internet poker?). The third option is to carry on, learn from them, and continue to take pleasure in whatever I achieve. So, the lady who brought the exceptional work to our meeting, described how she achieved a certain image. It just happens to be related to the piece " The Old Summer Kitchen", that I'm working on.  I think I'll try it.  I certainly have nothing to lose.

No comments: