Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Pictures

I didn't have pictures for my last post, but took a couple this morning.  First the Christmas stockings.  Each is about 20" long and 9" wide, at the top. I admit that I was thinking more of boys than women, when making them, and, as mentioned in the last post, having no Christmas fabric in my stash complicated the whole thing. 



This one is not quite finished, and yes, those are hand basted hexies, machine sewn to batting.  I hope to find some sort of plaid or checkerboard blue-ish ribbon to add a bow in the cuff.  The original pattern seemed to call for a loose cuff, but I decided that, technically, it just wasn't feasible--for me.


This one is a very nice slightly off-white cotton twill, and a LWI-dyed blue cotton.  I was experimenting with some programmed machine stitches for the embroidered band.  I added snow flakes to each blue square, in a effort to make it a little more Christmass-y.



Then, again in the previous post, I spoke of finding some ufo's that could, maybe, work as mandalas.  Here is the first one, a Shibori dyed piece that would finish to about 14" in diameter.  Not sure about this one, but it might be fun to play with.



These two were originally planned as mandalas, but the painted image was thought to be too faint to work successfully. Having now finished 6 mandalas, and received some very positive feedback on both the concept and the result, I want to take another look at them.  The actual image can be seen but is not a consistent image across the whole piece.  My plan is to photocopy the original ceiling medallion they were created with, and trace the actual image onto the piece, using my jerry-rigged light box, and then quilt it with mono-poly, creating almost a ghost image, which would then be beaded and finished.



All together this is starting to sound like a week or more of experimentation, and creative fun.

I plan to link this with The Needle and Thread Network

No comments: