Monday, October 23, 2017


The orange twisted cord mentioned in my last post has inspired the design for a new reliquary, but the core perle cotton was quite limited, so I've had to order more through the local embroidery store.  This will be awhile coming in, so in the meantime, I've been working on a couple of more traditional pieces.

The first one is a very traditional quilt that I started as a teaching piece when I was involved with a basic quilting group at the local seniors' centre.  It's a pattern that I found on the internet, and I have no idea to who to credit with the design.  I found it in a box with all of the pieces cut and some scribbled instructions telling me that there were 16 squares.  Okay, I thought, just about the right size for a charity quilt, and got to work.  However by the time it was finished, I had 24 squares, and a quilt big enough to cover our twin size spare bed.  There is no way I can quilt this in my very limited work area, so I'm going to have to find a long armer that I trust, as the one I've used for years has retired.  Sorry, but for some reason the picture is sideways. The quilt is 86" by 58 1/2", but, unfortunately, not quite square.  I don't think I'm going to worry about that.

The second one is one that I've mentioned before.  After over a year of work, I've finally got my hand pieced hexie quilt to the size I want.  there are still a couple of fill-ins needed for the edge but the bulk of it is done.  I'm glad to see the end of it, but now the question will be whether I can mange to quilt this in my work space.  It's a little larger than any I've done before, but I'm thinking of entering it in a judged show, so would prefer that it all be my own work.  It's about 48 by 65 inches, a nice lap quilt size, but big enough for the category I'm looking at.

 I plan to link this with The Needle and Thread Network.

No comments: