Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Hand stitching

 While the sketchbook stuff is taking most of my studio time, when relaxing I tend to do hand work.  This often takes the form of English Paper Piecing(EPP). Lately I've been working on a pattern from the Flossie Teacakes book on EPP.  This uses only a 60 degree diamond, but relies on colour to form the design.  I've completed only one block, which, rather than being actual squares, takes the shape of a hexagon, albeit a large one--about 16 1/2" across the widest part.




The green and pink will be consistent within the blocks.  They are both Kona cotton solids, Laurel and Sangria respectively. The patterned pieces are batik, and there will be 6 different batiks used, with each block using the same batik.  I'm hoping that having 6 different batiks will mean that no two adjacent blocks will be the same colour.  Unfortunately, two of the batiks came from my scrap bin, and may not provide enough pieces to achieve that.  We'll have to see.  I'm hoping that this will keep me busy for most of the next year.

No comments: