Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Navel gazing again

 Time for another "who am I, what am I doing here, and where do I want to go" session.  In my last post I was a little jazzed about selecting items to take into the gallery in Selkirk.  The selected items were delivered and are now on display there.  Following each change-over of goods in the gift shop, artists are paid for items sold during the previous display.  I got the cheque yesterday.  The only items I sold were two that were bought by a friend who was in the gallery during the previous change-over, not a thing had sold during the three months it was all on display.  While I have not displayed art often during Gallery exhibitions over the past few years, nothing has sold from there either. 

Why am I doing this?  I'm devoting a fair bit of both mental and physical energy with no payback.  Time to re-exam the process.  Christmas is coming, and the two months before Christmas present many opportunities to sell, but for selected items.  I have a few such items finished, and ready to go.  However, I have offered the best of them to a totally different Gift shop. I am not fretting over this.  If they are not accepted, I have lost nothing but the time it took to fill in an on-line application.  If the commission I pay is 50% or less, I will have at least covered the cost of supplies. I will not make any further seasonal items.  Nor will I make any further specifically gift shop items.

This leads to the question of "What will I be doing?"  I'm not sure.  I have much less energy than I had even five years ago.  But--I have an instinctual need to create, and the time and supplies to do so.  Let's get started!

No comments: