Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Very slow progress, but a light at the end of the tunnel

 Sorry, no picture yet, nor maybe ever.  Over the past couple of years I've been slowly hand piecing (EPP) a larger top, based on a diamond shape, that I found in the book Susie Teacakes guide to English Paper Piecing.  It was finally finished, and the papers taken out. but most of the basting was left in.  The long-armer asked that any knots be removed, and that was slowly accomplished (v-e-e-r-r-y slowly).  then the narrow 1/4" seam allowance along the multiple edge pieces has to be straightened out and carefully pressed.  Finally a 3" (cut not finished) border sewn on.  As it turned out, the actual shape was an octagon, with very short "squared off" corner areas.  I put the "squared off" in quotes because it was not really square at all.  Then I was to measure and cut the backing and batting.

This process took place over about 3 weeks and it was one of those times when every thing that could go wrong, did go wrong.  I won't go into details but I was almost totally frustrated and disheartened when it came to the backing.  When it came to the borders, they increased the measure size of the piece, and the fabric I had bought, so as to have an extra wide backing and no joins or patch work, increased the width by about 4 inches, and the purchased backing no longer fit.  I was distraught.  So upset, that I realized that my only solution--at the time--was to put the piece aside, and work on something else for awhile.

This is what I've done.

No comments: