Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Finally finished


Here is a picture of the piece I have been obsessing
aobut over the past three weeks. The title is
"Inua-Spirit in the Wind" I made it for the Fiber
Art Connection of Southern California Challenge "Inua"
The piece is about 22 by 33
, but, as you can see, is free form. I started with
white cloth and used paint sticks to colour it.
The green/black colour represents the colour one
sees in the depths of a solid piece of clear ice.


Here is a close-up showing the intense FMQ'g, and the holes that have been cut through the piece. Each hole was faced, cut and finishe don the wrong side. I then put on the back using an envelope technique. This means that I sewed the fabric , right sides together over the front, cut a slit in it and turned the whole thing to the back. I then cut out the holes and hand stitched the backing around the holes
Here is another close-up, again showing the dense FMQ'g.
This was a very intense piece. Once I had started, it was
as though I was possessed. I had to work it through.
I had tried a similar piece a couple of years ago, and it
went nowhere. I think I was too rigid in trying to make
my quilting lines regular and precise. I had to loosen up
quite a bit to get the effect I wanted. But I found it
very difficult to make the work look loose
and un-planned. A lesson to me.

No comments: