Thursday, October 29, 2009

Reality bites!

In all the preparation for the four shows I have in November, I've reached the point where there is nothing but hand sewing left to do. Well, my hands don't like it. I tried to slow the pace and only do one piece a day, and still the hands object. Dammit! Old age sucks!

As well, an acquaintance told me that a friend absolutely loves the collages I make and has now started to make some just about the same, and is selling them. This is not a "fuzzy" area. It is copyright infringement. If they are anything like mine, or based on mine, then I am being exploited. She is stealing my ideas. This is not a case where imitation is a form of flattery. While such a thing is against the law, in reality, I know there is nothing I can do. I was fooled when she took an interest in my sun prints, asking what leaves I used and what paints and how I did it. I often describe the method as part of my sales pitch, (although not in such detail)as the finished result appears deceptively easy, but she was actually stealing the idea, ---and I let her.

2 comments:

Linda Mullen said...

That's really unfortunate. I really enjoyed the sun print day and I love my sun prints. I love mine so much that I wouldn't part with them.

Rose Anne B said...

Now I have my answer to yesterdays email. Sorry you feel that way Pat, I won't be asking you or others about their methods again that is for sure, the books and magazines that published these techniques will be used instead - trial and error.