Sunday, January 17, 2010

Beading

The unexpected class I have in February is beading. I had would be comfortable just doing short drop'in demo's but have to do a lot more planning for actually teaching for three hours. I've given it a lot of thought, and pulled out my source books. I now have a basic ( very basic) plan for the class, and can concentrate on actually creating samples and developing greater skill. Last evening, I tried beading a button. I had thought that I was aiming for a fairly smooth surface, so used Delica beads--guaranteed to be exactly the same size and shape. The result was somewhat smooth as long as I was working in straight lines on an even surface, but when there were curves or the surface changed ( along the edge of the button) the finished surface became rougher. Next task is to make one with less expensive beads, although I did like working with the Delicas. I actually have a design in mind., and hope to give it a try tonight.

One topic I plan to touch on is creating beaded edges--picots and such. On Friday, I did some beaded buttonhole edging on a collage that is going to the Manitoba Crafts Council show at Cre8ery next month. I'm quite pleased with it, but I know there are several other ways of beading an edge. Gotta try them next!

No comments: