Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The quilt show was last weekend. Although I did a stint as a volunteer Friday morning, on Saturday and Sunday I took a workshop with Pippa Moore from Vancouver Island. Pippa has a blog www.kitambaa.blogspot.com where she talks about her work trying to establish quilting as a cottage industry in Uganda.
This gives her access to African fabrics, and the finished projects her ladies make, both of which she markets in North America to support the work done in Africa. So the workshop was making an African inspired wall hanging, using mainly African fabrics. I bought a second kit and made a second hanging over the past couple of days. I had hoped that the workshop would "jump start" my creativity, and while I'm pleased with what I produced, I'm not sure where I might go from here. I have lots of scraps of African fabric that I can use in making small items that can be legitimately called "re-cycled", and I plan to pursue that. But little of my stuff sold at the show, and I'm somewhat discouraged right now.

No comments: