Saturday, April 24, 2010

Recycled craft

I attended a lecture on environmentally friendly and sustainable craft on Thursday ( Earth Day). While the speaker was a knitter, she covered many aspects of environmental sustainability in craft work in general, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed her talk. It was also nice that many of the suggestions and considerations she spoke of were a validation of some of the approaches I've already explored.

The second part of the event was a small sale of crafts produced using aspects of recycling. Knowing the sponsoring agency and the location, I did not expect ot sell anything, but had gone in hopes of getting feedback on the pieces I displayed and the direction I seem to be moving. There was a great deal of interest in my work, and the comments were all favorable. I made three sales, out of a total of four sales for all vendors combined. All the sales were my small purses using remnants of the African fabrics I've been working with, but there was just as much interest in the small hangings--enough that I now plan to take them with me to the next couple of more mainstream sales. I won't make any more of them until I see if any of them actually sell, but I have fabric ready should that happen. The next sale is May 1st and 2nd.

Exciting times embarking on a new style of work and new direction.

No comments: