Monday, October 25, 2010

Professional Conferences

Yep, that's where I've been. Never thought of it in those terms before, but someone in the group described this week's retreat in those terms, and they fit. We had all of the components, a keynote presentation, workshops, professional papers, and field trips to local areas of interest. We had four days in a quiet residential facility, with meals provided. The seventeen participants were members of the Fibre Art Network,(FAN) a group of Western Canadian professional fibre artists. Often when quilters and fibre artists get together, they each share their recent work. At the local guild level this is often a short show'n'tell session, but with the FAN group this is an interactive, in depth, presentation, that can take 30-40 minutes, and could be considered the presentation of a professional paper. Based on discussion at the time, this event is the highlight of the conference. There are also meetings, and the Annual General Meeting of the association.

So, why do I go? This is the third time I've been in the last four years. The resulting enthusiasm for my work, and almost ovewhelming inspiration can last for months. Having spent the better part of a year trying to find my muse and jump-start my creativity, this was, in a way, a last ditch attempt to do that. But I've come to realize that what I'm really searching for is my place within the fibre art community. Am I a "newbie"? A beginner? Is my work on a par with other artists? Where do I fit inthe scheme of things? I see an emerging role as a bit of a coach--suggesting strategies and cheering others on. This may suggest that I'm a "poseur", but I don't think so. My knowledge and skill puts me at a slightly higher level than that. I think it may be the creative gene that's damaged or partially missing. I also know that there have been times when I've subtly sabotaged my own efforts, possibly because of a lack of confidence in my own skills and abilities.

Someone, at the conference, spoke of taking a sabbatical. That may well be what I'm trying to do with the year I've given myself to find myself. Or the year ahead of me when I plan to restore the fun in my work. And the ideas are certainly spilling forth. Now I just need to catch and tame them.

1 comment:

Dianne Leatherdale Johnson said...

P, I think you are on to something. You certainly have been a great coach and encouragement to me. What I create is serendipidous in the extreme, but if my Muse ever met your Muse they might fight!!
Flowerpower