Friday, April 8, 2011

charity quilts

Today with my DH's help I finished the quilt-as-you-go blocks for the third charity quilt that I've been making.  The tops for the first two are done, and the batting and backing cut, ready to sandwich.  DH is getting very handy with the rotary cutter.  He cut all of the strips and other shapes for the block, and then did all of the trimming, once they were sewn together.  I have other commitments this coming week, so the whole project will be put on hold for awhile. Over the past couple of days, the conversation on my art quilting internet groups has been on how it's relaxing and renewing to go back and do a little traditional quilting once in awhile, and I now know this is true.

This sort of work is somewhat routine and thoughts can be elsewhere.  I'm now convinced that the Doorways piece is never going to be as good as my original vision.  I will pursue and finish it, but the quality just isn't there.  However, this has been a fantastic learning situation, both in terms of the technique and in the capacity of the new sewing machine. So, time well spent.

No comments: