Sunday, April 3, 2011

Pushing too hard and paying the price

What a quandry!!  After almost 6 months of very little studio time, I'm feeling the need, desire, and energy to get down there and work.  Part of the lack of ambition comes--I firmly believe--to the Extra Strength Tylenol that I've been taking regularly since since early January.  So I've been making a firm effort not to take any during the day, and I've noticed a marked increase in both initiative and creativity.
So down I go and work my little fingers ot the bone to end up exhausted, and in discomfort.  The shoulder just isn't ready for such demands, and ergonomically, the area isn't set up to reduce demands on the shoulder.  Planning for efficient work flow, and pacing the speed of work both help, but I have to reduce my expectations of myself--a very difficult task for me.  Only a few years ago I could put in 12-14 hours/day of steady studio work and look after my house as well.  Old age is a bitch.

There are three shows coming up, one next weekend which is a high end craft sale, and a more formal art show at the end of the month, followed by a gallery show at the end of May.  The formal art show requires that all things displayed are ready to hang ( read framed)  Anything else can be displayed, in shrink wrap, in a different room.  I had asked for space in the shrink wrap room only, but this is not allowed, and I am required to put up something for display in the main area.  I have a couple of small pieces but they have been shown before. So--having a little extra money-- we decided that maybe it was time to frame the large matted piece that has been under the bed for three years.  Last time I was in to the framer I had a smaller piece and asked for a simple frame.  The price quoted had been over $200, so I was apprehensive about the whole thing, as the mattted piece is big.  Well, tax included the total came to $55.00.  So now I will have a new, large piece for the more formal art show, which is unlikely to sell, so probably, a new piece for the gallery show at the end of May, as well.

No comments: