Thursday, June 9, 2011

When life throws you lemons---

to heck with lemonade, bring on the brandy!  Had my second eye surgery done yesterday.  The results are disappointing.  My close vision is badly compromised--to the extent that reading, computer work and fine sewing are not possible right now.  With proper glasses, I should be able to continue with all of these, but I must wait, at least, two months for the eye to settle down before pursuing that.  I'm going to explore drug store reading glasses, in a few days, but in the meantime, DH has given me a four inch magnifying glass to use.  No handle, just a big round glass.  It works, and this morning I was able to read parts of the newspaper.  The good news is that I was also able to read the headlines without help, something I haven't been able to do since the first eye was done in March.

What does this mean in the studio?  I don't know.  Yesterday I managed to thread the sewing machine and sew some straight lines.   Before the surgery I had been doing some very fine hand work using both my normal glasses ( now toast!)and a special magnifier.  Once I have the reading glasses, I'll take another look at that.  I hope to be able to work on a new piece, tenatively titled "Lucifer's Tears".  This will involve a lot of FMQ'g, but with a stronger contrast in thread colour than I've used in the past.  There is also a new box on the horizon, and the basic machine quilted background should pose no problem.

No comments: