Saturday, October 15, 2011

Deadlines

We all hate deadlines, but continue to expose ourselves to them.  Does this mean we are all procrastinators, and need the externally imposed structure of a deadline to work?  Early in my career, I learned that the best option was to do the job as soon as possible after accepting it.  Now I said that I learned this as a truth--it doesn't say that I do it!  But often I have a piece finished well ahead of the deadline.  I found that to do otherwise would end up with poor workmanship and frustration.  Well, it seems that I forgot this somewhere along the way.

I have committed to three pieces for a show at the end of the month.  One is finished, one is done except for beading and framing ( I have the frame ready and will mount it myself).  The third was planned but hadn't even been started when I made the commitment, a week ago.  My way of working often involves quilting the background before doing whatever surface embellishment I have planned.  So I started fairly heavy FMQ'g on a piece 28" square.  Got it about 1/3 done when I accidently sewed over a pin, on another project, and knocked out the timing on my machine.  Panicked trip to the dealership on Thursday, where I advised him of the deadline, but, foolishly, told him I had a back-up machine that I could use, and Monday would be alright for getting the machine back.

Spent Thusday evening setting up the old Pfaff and trying a bit of practise FMQ'g on it.  OMG!  It is going to be a very long learning curve!  I had forgotten what a chore FMQ'g was on the Pfaff!  Very easy to set up and the needlethreader is wonderful, but it needs an entirely different skill set.  Obviously I have learned the rythym of the Janome quite well and most of the work is beautifully regular and even.  Not so the Pfaff!  So much practise and working on the piece itself.  Have difficulty seeing where the stitching is going because the FM foot obscures my view.  The machine doesn't like my thread and the other spool of black has more of a sheen than the first one and it shows.  So-- much reverse stitching, and with uneven stitching, this is a PITA.  Then today it starts skipping stitches.  Now, I know this is either the timing out of whack or my hands moving too quickly for the machine.  Again much reverse stitching.  Painful, frustrating,  reverse stitching!!  Many bad words were spoken.  Finally, I gave up.  I will work on beading the other piece over the next couple of days, and hope there is enough time to finish the original piece, once the machine comes back.

 But again-- I took on a deadline and every thing that could go wrong, did go wrong.  I am tired, angry and frustrated.  DH has taken to hiding in the computer room, and even offered to run some errands alone today, rather than spend time alone with me in the car.  Smart man!

No comments: