Saturday, October 29, 2011

Gotta get Organized!

Today I delivered my three pieces to Gwen Fox Gallery for their November fibre show.  Now, I don't know what to do next.  There are several more shows on the horizon between April and June, but nothing is started for any of them.  I find I'm forgetting what and when they are, so will have to draw up a prioritised list to work from.

A second consideration is that it has been almost a year since I was last in a sale.  It is time to make a decision about my future direction.  I love what I do, but once a piece is finished, my emotional connection ends, and I'm usually willing to have it go to a new home.  The shows and exhibitions are great for exposure and name recognition, but both of those are usually directed at ultimately selling the work for profit, or as a means of promoting a teaching careeer.  Is this where I want to go?  I enjoy teaching, but, if this is to ever be more than a hobby there is a lot of work required.  It takes me at least a month to set up a class.  Then I have to run a test class, and fine-tune the class. Then comes the promotion, which can be time consuming.  So the teaching will always be part of me, but I'm too old to be looking at it as a new careeer.

That leaves sales.  Wouldn't it be wonderful to find an agent who would do all of the hard stuff and "donkey-work" of promotion!!  Leaving me to work in my studio producing wonderful art.  Not going to happen!!  So, I need to give a lot of thought to the sales, and how I can participate in them without loosing the wonderful creativity that I have re-discovered during my "year off".

No comments: