Thursday, February 9, 2012

Broke the cycle

Yes, I've moved beyond the little quiltlets, and started to work on my entry for the next FAN show.  This one involves rocks.  I've been saving pictures of rocks and pictures of quilts showing rocks for several years and I'm finally going to put them to work.  I wanted to use a technique called "poverty piecing" which involves sewing hundreds of tiny scraps of fabric together , every which way.  But I didn't have any fabric scraps--so just cut up fabric to make scraps. This meant that my scraps were a little larger than necessary, but the technique worked very well, and I now have all of the rocks cut up, ready to baste into place.  Does this sound like I'm reverting to more traditional work?  Yep, you guessed it, for this piece, at least.  The rocks will be hand appliqued to a base fabric, something I haven't done in years.  With my sore hands, this may take awhile, so I'm starting now, even though the deadline isn't until August.

No comments: