Friday, May 16, 2014

One more piece of dyeing


After the previous dyeing, I managed one more piece, but not without problems.  This is a huge piece of fabric,  I have had to fold it in half to get it on the flannel wall for the picture.  I started with a LWI bath using burgundy and brick Procion MX dyes.  The result was a pale orange with lots of white areas and a few darker spots, which I didn't like, so I used a normal dye bath of brick, with a higher concentration of dye.  this covered the white spots but still left the piece much lighter than I wanted.  I am usually pretty cheap with the dye, so I made a high concentration of burgundy dye and put it though another dye bath, letting it batch for almost 36 hours.  Here are both sides of the piece.  Not as dark as I would have liked, and not usable for the design I had in mind.  So I guess I'll have to come up with a different design.


No comments: