Monday, April 20, 2015

Discharging

I'm really intrigued with this discharging technique.  I've used it before, but rather like the idea of discharging a shape over a pieced background.  With the winged piece--probably going to be called "Wing Swept"--the colour discharged too deeply for me.  So I experimented with some commercial fabric.  I have a design, based on some work we are doing in my sketching class, and used the two samples just to gain an idea of what the fabric would look like after discharging.  I was very disappointed in the middle fabric in the second picture, but absolutely thrilled with the top three fabrics in the first picture.  Those are the ones I've chosen for the actual piece.  You can see that There will be some pretty dense quilting, which will be done with 100% cotton--Superior's King Tut in Obsidian.  I've used it before, and while it more or less reads as black, is actually a variegated black,brown and silver. In the sample, it has discharged in places, along with the background fabric.  Exactly the effect I was looking for.



No comments: