Sunday, February 12, 2017

New work

This week I've concentrated on finishing a piece I started quite some time ago, in anticipation of a local gallery show.  There is another piece going to that show, but a second show has come up the theme of which is "Oh Canada", in honour of Canada's  150th birthday.

The fabric was Shibori dyed last summer, so quilting it and finishing it didn't take long. It is quilted using a variegated Fantastico by Superior Threads ( #5088) in combination with a gold metallic--from I wish I knew where. It is faced, and the facing needs to be stitched by hand.  This is happening bit by bit, as my hands allow, but today, it is done far enough that I could take a picture. 

It is 24" by 36", and didn't look right until I added the horizon and tree.  The tree could have been more realistic, but the sunset is very stylized, so I felt the tree should be also, for consistency.  It's a simple little piece, but I was glad to finally have a use for it.  I have titled it  "Oh Canada--and Her Magnificent Prairie Sunsets"


In the meantime, in exploring options for using more machine work, I have been working on a few Craftsy classes.  I'll try to post pictures later in the week.

I plan to link this with Nina Marie Sayre's Off the Wall Fridays, and The Needle and Thread Network.

1 comment:

LA Paylor said...

great use of the shibori! So inventive!
LeeAnna