Monday, February 13, 2017

A couple of more steps on my journey

Lately I've been talking about my need to find and outlet for my creativity, that minimizes my need to use my poor arthritic hands.  Part of this is exploring more non-traditional fibre-related activities through workshops on Craftsy. A couple of years ago I signed up for Carol Ann Waugh's Stitch and Slash workshop, but never finished it for a variety of reasons.  I took another look at it this week, and actually finished a piece.  When I looked at other students' work, I realized that mine was different--somehow. Thinking about it, I've come to the realization that I have a comfort zone that is much smaller and narrower than I had ever believed.  My difficulty is in letting go, and relaxing about details, while I plan and work.  My work is often pretty, but only rarely has any obvious "soul".  I also know that it's those pieces with "soul" that receive more critical acceptance ( they sell!)

Damn!  I had been somewhat aware of this, and had thought I was dealing with it, but obviously not, and I don't know what to do.

Here is the piece I finished yesterday.
  Very, very different than others coming out of the workshop.

I also made this from the scraps.  It will probably turn itself into a large pencil case, sometime in the next couple of days.

2 comments:

Yanicka said...

Any realization is a good thing. You now have a starting point :) Don't be discourage and I am sure that you will grow as an artist.

Pam @ Quilting Fun said...

Congratulations on your finish! Love your scrap fabric. Artists are always so hard on themselves.