Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Second thoughts

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to show pictures of Tall Grass Prairie, to a friend whose opinion I trust.  She was very polite about  minutiae, but I could see she wasn't terribly impressed.   This sort of confirmed some reservations I had about the piece. The only way I can describe my concern is to say that it's very austere, and the design somewhat simple for the size of the piece.  I know that it is quite a bit larger than my comfort zone, which is quite happy working at about 12 by 12.  

While we are constantly told to stretch ourselves in our art, in order to grow creatively, I have to wonder if this applies to artists who are  at the end of their careers, as it does to those much as those younger.  The lady I spoke with yesterday talked about reaching a point where you are free to do whatever you want.  This would give me pleasure, but I also think it might give me permission to become lazy, and spend my time doing nothing but charity quilts, where I don't have to think, just to truck along with my sewing machine.  That's when I sometimes get "into the zone".  Very relaxing, but how satisfying--in the long run??

No comments: