Sunday, March 10, 2019

Still searching for my creativity

But I continue working and playing with fibre, in an effort to find whatever creativity may be left in my brain.  ( I'm never sure at my age).  I've been asked to teach a one day workshop that may involve demonstrating with my machine.  In my review of what gadgets etc that I own associated with my machine, I found a 1/4" foot.  It looks nothing like other 1/4" feet I've seen and I did not know that I even owned it.  I've been using this machine almost every day for over 10 years.  During that time I've kept my previous machine in the storeroom for any time I needed to sew 1/4" seams.

 At the same time, casually over a couple of years, I've admired the traditional pattern "Hunters' Star".  My Son-in-law is a life long hunter who now works as a fishing and hunting guide, and taxidermist.  I think of him when I see the design.  So I decided to make one, as an excuse to try out my 1/4" foot.  I cut all the pieces for a larger one, and quickly realized that I would never finish one that size in this lifetime, so just finished it at about 41" square. 

 I'm pleased with the result, and really have a sense of accomplishment with having actually finished it.  This is a very complicated and challenging design.  An added bonus is that the blue fabric is off a bolt of very old very traditional cotton that I've owned for almost 40 years.  I'd really like to get rid of it.


No comments: