Wednesday, March 27, 2019

fun project

Life has been busy lately, but when there is a minute to spare, I've been in the studio,  still culling through my hand dyed and hand painted fabric, seeing if I can think of a use for any of it.  Lately, I've been playing with a piece of hand dyed fabric that has really appealed to me, but a project for it has been hard to find.  Finally I came up with this.


Now that I look at the picture, the Celtic runes along the upper right side don't appear to line up as well as I thought they did--especially after using a ruler to place them.  Darn! And they're already stitched down. I want to add a few sparse leaves to the ends of the gnarled tree branches, but I'm not sure how many--3 or 5 or 7.  I'll make the 7 and then audition them.

According to "The Book of Runes", by Ralph Blum, the runes, from the top mean:
            Victory, perhaps from winter?
             Cattle, goods and vital community wealth
             joy, the absence of suffering and sorrow
             Birch tree, associated with fertility rites, rebirth, new life
             God's light, prosperity, and fruitfulness
I have no exhibition or show in mind for this, but I'm having fun making it.

I plan to link this with The Needle and Tread Network.

No comments: