Thursday, October 31, 2019

Just about there!

All of the collage work is finished on my two 12 by 12's.  Next comes beading.  For these pieces the beading will be minimal, rather than the encrusted beading I love.  The circles are created by painting the glue side of fusible webbing, that is attached to paper.  When dry, it's supposed can be just fused on, but I found it wasn't that easy.  I had to remove the paper and make sure that the paint side was closest to the iron.  I also wanted to warm up the pieces a bit.  So I used a copper metallic thread to attach the circle--admittedly more decorative than functional. Then I put the copper metallic in two other places on the piece.




My next step is to figure out how to attach the pieces to the wrapped canvas.  I have always wrapped the piece around, and stapled it down, but this is rather bulky because it's backed with industrial felt.  So, my options are to cut it exactly to 12 by 12 and finish the edge--always a difficult chore, for me. Then glue it to the canvas, after adding a layer of paint to the canvas.  This would mean not having to finish the back to hide the stapled edges.  But I'm really not confident of my skill in doing it this way.  A third option would be to remove the canvas before wrapping the edges of the piece around--which is the direction I think I might go.

I plan to link this to The Needle and Thread Network, and maybe to Nina-Marie Sayre's Off the Wall Fridays.

1 comment:

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Lovely pallet and glimmer. Nothing like trying something new to expand your horizons.