Sunday, March 22, 2020

Another "Just Do It" day

We've been talking about  moving some of the items in my studio area into the rest of the basement area, so as to create a little more room in the studio.  This week, for the second time, I tripped over an extension cord in the studio and fell. Leading to a trip to Urgent Care, x-rays ( nothing broken) but a lot of very sore muscles and joints over the past few days.  Today, I decided that today was the day that we would do something about it.  This involved moving four major pieces of furniture, two of which required emptying first. The other consideration was that, because the studio was so small, every little space and cubby hole has been used for storage.

First step was a lot of measuring, and then emptying of a wardrobe. This was quickly accomplished, and then it was moved out of the studio area and into the main part of the basement along the west wall.  Our measurements has shown us that, if  it was moved about 24 inches beyond an inward corner of the foundation, there would be room for the corner cabinet, holding a huge collection of beads, to rest against the West wall beside it, just out of its old position in the main studio.

But first all of the beads had to be taken out.  I was not sure of the integrity of the home made cabinet, which I had bought 30 years ago at a garage sale for $10.  It was a very old cabinet when I bought it. Here they are, side by side, just out of the studio.


And here are the beads spread all over the studio.

 The next step was to move a big heavy hand made cedar chest from against the east was of the studio, onto the West wall of the basement beside the wardrobe.  First we had to move a storage unit from on  top of the cedar chest, down to the far end of the basement onto a different storage chest.  You can see it here, under the far window, and the cedar chest beside the wardrobe.

The final step was to move a small computer desk holding my tv set and computer into the space formerly occupied by the wardrobe and corner cabinet. 
You'll note that there is a much smaller corner shelving unit where the bead cupboard used to be, and I've snuck a rolling shelving unit in to the other side of the computer desk.  This required some adjustments to the way everything had been hooked up to power.  This meant no more extension cords taped to the floor for me to trip over.  Yay!!  As well, all of the items that had been stuck into any empty space, have all been relocated quite nicely, and probably safer as well.

Next the work table was swung 90 degrees from its former position and snugged up to the computer desk.  Sorry about the garbage front and center.

I can't believe how  much extra space I have.  Had I know this would happen I would have pushed to do this a long time ago.

1 comment:

LA Paylor said...

Hi Pat! so cool to hear how you're liking sketchbook. LOVE the smear idea!
Now I'm going to hopefully watch day 2's videos. I saw Tamara LaPorte is back, yipee! She was my fave teacher last year. And it was fun to draw food, hee hee. Never done that, and learned that a reflective surface should have all the colors that would be around it!
LeeAnna