Monday, May 18, 2020

Busy two days

The internet course on Sketchbooks has suggested that I spend a bit of time, creating papers to use in creating collages in my sketch book.  There was also a video on the site that demonstrated how to use paint to create batik-like patterns of both paper and fabric.  So I decided to try both in hopes of having something to work on while the paint on the previous pieces dried.

I set up an extra table to set things to dry, and worked at the main table in the studio.  I ended up with drying pieces on both tables.  One technique suggested crumpling paper from brown paper bags, and then painting several layers, while adding some oil pastel at some point. With my first effort, I found that it makes a difference depending on the weight of the brown paper you use.  Light weight paper doesn't work.  So a couple of pieces didn't work out too well, yesterday, but a re-do today resulted in at least 4 pieces with good potential.  

For the batik section, I used four pieces of paper and four pieces of fabric.  I did one paper and one fabric with each colour scheme, so that, if the paper collage in the sketchbook shows potential, I'll have the fabric to work with when turning it into an actual fibre piece.  Here's a glimpse of my tables.  The front table has some paper-based batik work.




One technique blew me away.  Using tissue paper, I spread the paper on a piece of glass.  I carefully shook a powder form of water colour paint, onto the tissue paper, using four colours.  Then I spritzed the piece generously with water. I did this over two days with two different colour ways.  Once dry, the tissue paper peeled away from the glass easily, and felt almost stronger than the plain tissue paper.  The orange was still wet when the picture was taken, and the purple colour way was pretty well dry.  I absolutely love them both, and really look forward to using them/



Unfortunately, neither the batik pieces nor the painted brown paper pieces were dry enough to finish today.  I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow.  I sure hope that everything is finished, and dry, tomorrow so I can move onto the next step.

No comments: